[xmca] Position Announcement

Dear Colleague:

The Ithaca College Education Department invites applications for the position of Department Chair & Associate/Full Professor.  Below and attached are a full job posting we hope you will read and consider as well as distribute through your contacts and various list serves.   As the ad notes, we are a relatively small but expanding department with a number of successful programs and partnerships and an interest in welcoming a new colleague with a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and social justice in teacher education.

Thank you very much!

Jeff Claus
Associate Professor & Interim Chair
Education Department
Phillips 194D
Ithaca College
Ithaca, NY 14850
claus@ithaca.edu
607-174-1342
www.ithaca.edu/hs/depts/education

ITHACA COLLEGE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT CHAIR & ASSOCIATE/FULL PROFESSOR

The Ithaca College Education Department invites applications for the position of Department Chair and Associate/Full Professor.  This full-time position begins August 16, 2011 (or earlier in the summer of 2011, if desired), and involves: coordinating departmental curricular offerings, staffing, and budgets; playing a leadership role in program accreditations; directing the undergraduate secondary teacher education program; working closely with certification area coordinators in the disciplines; teaching in the department; helping maintain and develop community outreach and partnership programs.  The teaching load is 2-3 courses/sections, which may be spread out over the year in a variety of ways.  Areas of teaching specialization are flexible, but some areas of interest/need are: general methods in secondary education, literacy across the disciplines, sociocultural foundations, educational/developmental psychology, teacher research and uses of assessment to improve instruction, innovative and effective uses of technology in education, and reflective practice in teaching and the supervision of student teachers.  Rank and tenure status are dependent on qualifications and experience.

We are an expanding department, located in the School of Humanities and Sciences, with teacher certification programs at the undergraduate level in secondary education and at the Masters level in secondary and elementary education.  We also offer courses for students in other teacher education programs on campus and for students with an interest in the study of education as a social science.  We seek a collaborative, creative colleague with solid administrative, research, and teaching experience who will lead the department and offer courses relevant to our department’s mission and developing programs.  We especially seek someone with a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and innovative practice in education who possesses a well-informed vision for high quality teacher education.  The department’s vision statement is:

We believe that true excellence in education requires a commitment to equity and social justice.
Thus, we strive to prepare creative, culturally competent, critically reflective graduates who possess deep knowledge in their fields of study and work collaboratively to achieve high quality education for all.

Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to teach in ways that value the varied learning needs and interests of a culturally diverse student population, and that reflect a commitment to encouraging the success of all students.  We also seek candidates who have relevant experience and/or a record of professional engagement with groups and communities underrepresented in the academy.  Candidates from underrepresented groups whose exclusion from the academy has been longstanding are strongly encouraged to apply.

Qualifications: Earned doctorate in a relevant field; evidence of administrative experience and college level teaching related to teacher education; a record of scholarly activity; experience teaching K-12 and/or working with school age youth; demonstrated experience addressing issues of diversity and equity in education; and, overall, a record commensurate with expectations for tenure at Ithaca College.

Ithaca College is a private, comprehensive college with 6,400 undergraduate and 400 graduate students, located in Ithaca, NY, a diverse and culturally vibrant small city situated on Cayuga Lake in the heart of the beautiful Finger Lakes region of upstate New York.  Cornell University is also in Ithaca.

Interested individuals should apply online at www.icjobs.org and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, a list of three citations of representative publications, one representative syllabus, and a list containing the contact information for five professional references.  Questions about online application, call (607) 274-8000.  Review of application will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.

Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.  Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.