[xmca] Shared knowledge as Common Ground

I just read an interesting article on shared knowledge acquisition
and shared perception that develops as doctors participate in  joint
activity within the operating room.
When reading it I was thinking of Jay Lemke's article on how changing
media facilitate different forms of shared knowlege.

The article is an examination of communicative activity in an operating room
where there is an attendant, a resident, and a third year medical student
and how they are developing shared perceptions and shared knowledge within
a particular situation.  The authors are usin a pragmatic model of
"reference repair" proposed by  Clark and Marshall [1981]

Clark's model in 1981 was referring to "mutual knowledge" but in 1996 in a
book titled "Using Knowledge" he expanded the notion of mutual knowledge to
a broader category of "common ground"

Clark's proposed model of reference repair is expressed by the formula
Evidence + Asumptions + Induction schema = Mutual knowledge [or common
ground]
Evidence is the ground that both speaker and hearer both understand some
matter in the same way.

Assumptions are the things taken for granted when accepting these grounds as
warrants

Inductive schema is a RECURSIVE relation where evidence and assumptions are
interrelated or linked.  Weaker bases of evidence [shared knowledge] must be
compensated by increasing levels of assumptions.

The authors in the discussion section of there article wrote

"We are in full accord with Clark's shift from a treatment of reference as a
simple matter of linquistic interpretation to a more situated model that
encpmpasses "joint actions" and "joint perceptual experiences" and we think
this this [theory] ... would help to illuminate how participants' own
unfolding activities contribute to the determinant sense of what IS SEEABLE
at any given moment. Furthermore, we have much to learn about the
interactions between different kinds of bases of shared understanding".

Not sure if others will find the article interesting.  It is another
perspective on the theme of "co-ordinating perspectives"  through
"reflective capacity" as a "socio-relational" process.

Larry