Re: [xmca] Tom Toolery - tool and result

This has been a fun thread. I agree with Andy's first conclusion, but it was just a little too limited, which started the fun. I agree that when Paula was opening that bag of peanuts on that airplane with her teeth - to put an image to her question - that her teeth and indeed entire body was a tool, an artefact. I think Andy is perfectly correct about that. But we need to dig deeper to really answer Paula's question. Wouldn't we respond with the same answer if Paula had a chimp and a crow for seatmates, opening identical packets with tooth and hand, or beak and foot? Couldn't we rightfully call the chimp's teeth and the crow's beak tools, and therefore, artefacts? If that isn't quite satisfying, then how about if Paula had trained the crow to open the peanut packet for her?

My point here is that the concept of "artefact" isn't quite enough to explain how we open that package in a **human** way. This is part of what I think David was pointing out when he suggested that mere toolwise **functionality** is not a sufficient answer to Paula's question.

Andy refines the question nicely - what is mediating what? The "distributed cognition" Lucas proposes is on the right track, I think, but is still incomplete. While on one hand the concept of distributed cognition merely shifts the question of tool use to the plane of cognition, on the other hand it correctly points toward the essential collective dimension. Martin gets to the central concept in terms of Vygotsky's approach to will. And Mike gets there in terms of rock piles and cathedrals.

But the question Andy raises about "what is mediating what" still hangs.

The answer I think lies in Mike's explanation of the artefact, which the picture of the cover of his 1996 book is a nice reminder of. The solution to the kind of question Paula is asking is not to determine what is an artefact, and what isn't. That kind of questioning, as Martin and/or Andy point out, only create formal-dualistic, or dichotomous puzzles, where we will get stuck.

The solution I think is to pick up on Mike's Ilyenkovist strategy and ask in each situation - or more precisely, at each moment in the movement of any process - how ideality and materiality intertwine, interpenetrate, and transform each other. Ideality is cultural history, the collective activities of historical humanity up to the present moment as expressed in culture, and materiality is all of nature, including hay fever-ridden, lactose intolerant, tooth-using, and all other kinds of human bodies. Both ideality and materiality are always present in any given "tool," "sign," "artifact," "object," "subject," etc. etc. And as Andy argues, I think quite correctly, human bodies themselves.

But we must dig deeper than the question of artifactuality. In the general sense, everything that humans produce or culturally consider, such as Andy's example of the North Star, is an artifact. And even crow's beaks can be considered tools or artifacts. We only begin to get to the heart of the essential questions of **human** activity when we remember that the two kinds of reality, ideality and materiality, interact at blinding speeds, move very rapidly from form to form, transform one another again and again, and can be extremely difficult to analytically distinguish. When we remember that ideality (human meaning-making) and materiality are constantly mediating one another in human activity. When we remember that they rarely if ever exist in isolation from one another within the sphere of human activities. And when we remember that their elusiveness and frequent conflation is historically the source of much philosophical and psychological discussion and debate - this one included.

Everyone in this discussion has said some very true and correct things about these relationships and processes. Part of the reason I enjoy xmca so much is that everyone here, each in their own way, has deep insights into these questions - but by no means always the same insights! LOL Which is what makes discussions like this fun. In this case, I think in part we got caught up in the stimulating question "is it an artefact, yes or no?" instead of the possibly more productive line of inquiry, which Andy I think was reflecting in his points from Lois's work on tool and result, "how, in this particular moment, are ideality and materiality interpenetrating?"

- Steve