Re: [xmca] Tom Toolery

TB is very interesting historically in the way we have responded to it.
Firstly, you got ill from it and died from it, like the poet Keats.  Then
people were isolated in sanatoria and given drugs and then they recovered.
And now, you are infectious until you start taking your medication, and then
if you faithfully take it, then you get better. And most recently, you are
likely to get TB as an opportunistic infection when you are HIV+, and it's
harder to shake off because your immune system is compromised.

Recently my niece had a group of friends round for supper and then was
diagnosed with TB the following day.  She had to inform everybody, and they
had to be checked, but within 48 hours, when she was on medicine, she didn't
have to tell/warn anybody. Astonishing for someone who regularly swims 5km
before breakfast!! If she had been Keats, her symptoms would have been more
than a slight cough at night.

carol

WORK as:
Visiting Lecturer