RE: [xmca] Tom Toolery

As far as I know "the man with the stick" example appears in Steps to an Ecology
of Mind(Bateson, 1972). This example is widely used by Lambros Malafouris, a
cognitive archaeologists at Cambridge who tries to develop a new theory on
material engagement and the extended mind thesis (Clark, 2008; Clark &
Chalmers).
Some of his papers can be downloaded from his webpage:

http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?lm243

Malafouris co-edited the book The Cognitive Life of Things: Archaeology,
Material Engagement and the Extended Mind. Cambridge: McDonald Institute
Monographs. This book came out a few months ago.

On this link you can also find an interesting paper on material memories and the
extended mind:

http://www.phil.mq.edu.au/staff/jsutton/CognitiveLifeOfThings.htm

There is another book on the social life of things which might be of interest:

Appadurai, A. (ed.). (1986). The Social Life of Things. Commodities in Cultural
Perspective.Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Hope this helps,

Lucas

On October 14, 2010 at 8:40 AM Paula M Towsey <paulat@johnwtowsey.co.za> wrote:

> Hello Andy-of-the-5-o'clock-shadow
>
> Yet it's a different kind of gnashing of teeth (and wailing and weeping)
> when the baboons at Third Bridge get stuck into the tinned supplies...
>
> Paula

> Paula M Towsey
> PhD Candidate: Universiteit Leiden
> Faculty of Social Sciences