Re: [xmca] http://vimeo.com/groups/39473/videos

And here's what I just wrote in an email to Andy:

In thinking about our recent conversation with Mike, I kept returning to a few really huge moments in the discussion where he said something I felt was extremely, extremely important. To me, those are the moments worth pushing out to the general public (i.e., the several dozen people in the world who care about mediation and CHAT). To me, those are the moments worth discussing.

For example: Mike said that what Vygotsky _actually_ said was not that ?learning precedes development? but that ?learning can be organized in such a way that learning can precede development.? For those of us who have only brushed the surface of Soviet psychology, this is a big revelation and one worth discussing. What I enjoy about XMCA is being able to watch people debate these sorts of issues--if every xmca email was a long piece of writing that didn't engage in conversation with anyone else, I'd be just as well off if I just sat by myself somewhere and read all of the xmca members' books and articles. But it's the _conversation_ that clarifies and crystallizes things, the _conversation_ that pushes theory forward.

And video can't do exactly what xmca can do, but it can group together footage of people engaging with a central idea, right? Wouldn't that be neat?

I really like the idea of organizing a semi-weekly or perhaps monthly video topic--for example, perizhivanie or LSV's use of metaphor--and collecting short video clips in which xmca folks weigh in with their thoughts. This could be a way to capture and share the ideas discussed in this listserv--to make them available to a broader public (as in, for example, newer academics for whom xmca feels too dense and too daunting). Of course, this may be too narrow of a focus for this group; I don't know.

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~
http://www.jennamcwilliams.com
http://twitter.com/jennamcjenna

~