Re: [xmca] Intravolutions and Representations

Words in English such as 'involve'  preserve the sense of a rotation, as does the phrase 'to turn into...'.

Involve: ORIGIN late Middle English (in the senses [enfold] and [entangle] ; formerly also as envolve): from Latin involvere, from in- ‘into’ +volvere ‘to roll.’

The terms 'envelop' and 'develop,' which used to mean to enfold, and to unfold and unfurl respectively, are derived from old French +‎ voloper, veloper, vloper ("to wrap, wrap up,"), and from a proto-German term *wrappan-, *wlappan- meaning "to wrap, roll up, turn, wind," which in turn [!] came from a Proto-Indo-European *werb- (“to turn, bend”).  See Wiktionary.org

Martin