Re: [xmca] LSV's use of metaphor

I agree that metonymies, as you call them, are important in thinking about
developmental change,
Achilles. One that has wide implications are studies of gender development,
where, since the work of
Barrie Thorne at least, it has been clear that various generalizations made
about stage-like changes as if they were uniform are in fact "synopotic
illusions" created by metonymous thinking which covers up the heterorgeneity
that is a central part of the dynamics of development.
mike