Re: [xmca] copy of Change Lab paper

I sometimes wonder if issues of intellectual ownership, copyright, etc., are particularly thorny for newer, less established scholars who run a somewhat higher risk of having their ideas appropriated by (and ultimately associated with) more well known, influential scholars; or is it possible that the well established scholars whose ideas have taken hold have more to lose by seeing their ideas used in ways that make them uncomfortable?

Anyway, one thing I know is that as a young academic committed to openness and transparency, I'm constantly struggling against myself-- these horrible capitalistic desires to protect my ideas, to become the top dog, to 'make my mark' on the field, keep rising up at the most inopportune times!

This is one reason I like the Creative Commons licensing movement and its efforts to help people deal with their demons. Instead of allowing the work I post online to be covered by default by antiquated copyright laws, for example, I can attach a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License to it. The fine print of this license (which you can see at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/) tells you that you can use my writing for your own research or creative purpose, as long as you tell people where you got it from and don't try to make money off of it. Also, if you choose to appropriate my writing or ideas, this license informs you that you're bound to make any resulting research or creative production available under the same license. ShareAlike!

It's not a perfect solution, but at least it's better than many of the alternatives.

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~
http://www.jennamcwilliams.com
http://twitter.com/jennamcjenna

~