Re: [xmca] Agency/Structure, Individual/Society, Subject/Object

Greg:

I think you have provided great insight into this topic.  Thank you.

eric

From:   Gregory Allan Thompson <gathomps@uchicago.edu>
To:     xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
Date:   09/28/2010 05:47 PM
Subject:        [xmca] Agency/Structure, Individual/Society,
Subject/Object
Sent by:        xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu

Eric,
Love Wittgenstein's poker, but not sure I have much to say about it.

Yes, I agree that individuals are changed as they travel down the assembly
line of life. I prefer "transformed", but I think "produced" captures the
sense very nicely as well. (Star Wars images are rushing to mind,
something about humans and machines being intertwined in the figure of
Annakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, but I'll hold back! But yes,
produced/transformed).

Yes, I'm with you on the question of whether "a person's agency is more
then a replay of that sociological/cultural impact?"

I do like Durkheim's answer to this which is that it is through "the
social" that we become thinking individuals who are able to transcend the
immediacty of our surroundings, whether physical or social [cf., Hegel's
suggestion that the Notion of Spirit allows consciousness to transcend the
"colourful show of the sensuous here and now" and and enter into the
"spiritual daylight of the present"), Baillie translation para. 177]. As a
philosophical problem of figuring out how something that develops out of
"the social" ends up transcending "the social", I have two suggestions
(the question could also be phrased: how does something "new" come from
the reproduction of what was already there?).

First was the suggestion in my initial post in which I was proposing that
there can be tension between the historically formed subject and the
presently mediated subject, a sort of conflict of contexts, such that one
or the other will have to be overturned and something "new" introduced. I
think Holland, Skinner, et. al have a nice example that articulates
something close to this position (with the Indian woman who climbs the
wall).

A second solution is reflexivity in language and thought. A system of
thought emerges and then at some point is able to turn back on itself. (I
take this to be another way of putting Hegel's and Durkheim's answer to
the question).

Reflexivity (in the individual) also provides an interesting response to
your question about the individual's free will. Our engagement with a
given activity isn't simply a replay of the impact of "the social" upon us
precisely because we can engage in reflexive thought of the sort "what am
I doing here?" Fact is though, that most of our lives are spent acting and
reacting without much of this reflexive thought (good thing too!). So if
we are interested in understanding everyday behaviors, it will be
important to understand the impact of contexts in micro-social time as
well as ontogentic time. (and even when one is engaged in highly reflexive
thought, even that thought is heavily mediated by "the social" and the
ability to transcend it is derived from "the social").

Frankly I've got much smaller fish to fry. I'm just trying to work out how
individual subjectivity is mediated (note, not "determined") by
micro-social contexts. I think Hegel, Marx, Vygotsky, Durkheim, and others
help to think through such a problem and to get around the dualism of AN
INDIVIDUAL who is in A CONTEXT. As if the two were perfectly separable.

Once again I've said too much. So many thanks for the engagement. Love to
hear your thoughts.

Best,
greg

Some random musings on the question of "free will":

I certainly would like to think so, but arguing over it won't make much
difference to me. As James once said, it's best to act as if one has free
will even if it is certainly not the case.

As an intellectual matter (i.e. one to be studied rather than lived), note
that positing "free will" introduces a potential dualism - where did that
free will of the individual come from? The pineal gland? God? The quantum
physical properties of microtubules?

The question soon turns to a metaphysical problem that is of ultimate
importance to each of us individually, but of little importance to us as
researcher (and considering the scale of complexity of the human organism,
I doubt that anyone could ever "prove" determinism; and the same can be
said of free will). It's fun to talk about precisely because people get so
worked up about it (Freud was great at this), and it is true that it has
been a core sociological problem for a long time (as the "structure" vs.
"agency" debate), but I guess I'm questioning whether it should have such
a central place in the study of human behavior. Seems like there are much
more interesting (and socially relevant) questions...

>Message: 10
>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:45:40 -0500
>From: ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org
>Subject: Re: [xmca] Agency/Structure, Individual/Society,
>                Subject/Object
>To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
>
>Greg:
>
>This is quite in line with my recent post regarding Marx's fetishism of
>commodity's production.  If the commodity qualitatively changes due to
the
>production does it not make sense that an individual qualitatively
changes
>due to that production as well?  The ideology of the individual does not
>need to throw out sociological/cultural impacts upon the individual but
>through goal directed activity in irreversible time does it not make
sense
>that a person's agency is more then a replay of that
sociological/cultural

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2001/may/12/artsandhumanities.highereducation

>From:   Gregory Allan Thompson <gathomps@uchicago.edu>
>To:     xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
>Date:   09/27/2010 11:00 PM
>Subject:        [xmca] Agency/Structure, Individual/Society,
>Subject/Object
>Sent by:        xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
>

>Possibly following Andy's thinking on Structure and Agency and his radius

>of subjectivity, I want to propose that the structure vs. agency problem
>turns on the Subject/Object distinction that Hegel theorized away long
>ago. Furthermore, when seen in this light, the Structure/Agency problem
>turns into something quite different, in particular, the structure agency

>tension might better be construed as a tension of timescales (following
>Jay Lemke’s work on timescales).
>
>Simply put, in the course of human interaction (typically
"conversation"),
>the habits, motivations, and intentions of the socially constituted
>historical subject (now an “individualâ€・ as we like to call them)
>potentially stand in tension with the subject that is emergently being
>defined in the throes of the here and now of human social interaction.
The