Re: [xmca] Structure vs. Agency

Structure "VS" agency

 Martin Packer in his posted article used a term I found interesting.  He
used the term "reassembling" to capture the reality that a researcher is
always located IN the situation. (p.22)
Reassembling as a term implies "intentionality" and "purpose". within
cultural communities

I have been reading an article by Per Linell, "Dialogicality in languages,
minds, and brains: is there a convergence between dialogism and
neuro-biology? published in the journal ScienceDirect 29 (2007) p. 605-620

On page 613 he writes "... we can speak of a dialogical stance of
relationism; sense-making (understanding) is neither contained in an 'inner
(subjective) world' , nor in an 'outer (objective) world' , but it lives in
the RELATIONS BETWEEN these, in an 'inter-world (Merleau-Ponty, 1955)
between the organism and the external world.  This somewhat peculiar notion
of an 'inter-world' should be adopted, because we want to avoid the choice
between complete subjectivity (meanings are "in the head") or external
radical objectivity (meanings are "out there") in theorizing meaning and
meaning-making; rather meanings are (largely) intersubjective,
linquistically, and pragmatically established and sustained in and through
interactions.... Thibault (2005, p.124) and Hodges extend the theory of
social affordances to utterances: 'In talking with each other (and
ourselves) we create affordances, opportunities that invite the other into
seeing and moving in certain directions that look promising'.... Our
consciousnes is relational, INTENDED (or directed) to something in the world
or in the body; the very MOTIVATION of the brain is to relate apperceptions
of the world to the bodily states, to EVALUATE objects by means of affectual
and attitudinal reactions."

Per Linell is taking a "dialogical stance" to languaging and attempting to
bridge notions of structure and agency with the concept of  an
"inter-world".  In the final analysis does his concept of the
"inter-world" collapse into duality because he is trying to BRIDGE the
social and personal as BOTH implicated in an "inter-world" or is it
necessary to bracket and differentiate these concepts in order to REASSEMBLE
them within a dialogical stance?  This framework does not perceive
"structure VS agency" but rather "structure/agency" as a dynamic process of
reassembly.

I realize I may be continuing to fall back into "dualistic thinking" [by
bracketing  RELATIONAL "interworlds"]  but the notion of "dynamic
reassembling" within the dialogical stance is a notion I'm struggling with.

Larry