Re: [xmca] The Problem of the environment

Very intresting read Martin. Thank you for that. I know so little about Lewin except that he is important, that made it particular interesting for me.

One issue I'd like to pick up on, and that's the conundrum of /what it is in the environment/, that is, the entire universe outside what is immediately given in the consciousness of the individual, which should be taken into account. Is there some /boundary/ with which things are important but beyond which can be ignored? Surely no. When posed this way, as you point out in talking about Bronfenbrenner, the problem becomes insoluble. It remains one of adding to the individual an utterly arbitrary selection of other features selected by the observer from the universe outside the subject's consciousness. One has to form a concept which is not about interaction or relations between pre-selected entities. I think Vygotsky largely cracked this one.

It is interesting to me that quite independently of all this, Critical Theory (the Frankfurt School) is wrestling today with the same consundrum in its discourse about ethics, trying to figure out who is affected by an individual's action, and is therefore a "stakeholder" (so to speak, to pluck terminology from yet another discourse). Also Activity Theorists invovled in Town Planning issues wrestle with this same issue from the ethical side.

Vygotsky's main insight came, I believe, in his study of development. A stone that hits you though you didn't see it coming cannot be a source of development (though maybe later recovery the injuries received may be) even though it affects you. But it's not to do with perception. Fundamentally it is about needs and goals.

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Quite where and when it will be published is unclear, so 'unpublished' would be best.

Martin