Re: [xmca] The Problem of the environment

Mostly "I don't know," Larry, though maybe others can chip in. Just on "needs" though. ...

In Marxist lierature, "needs" is a very general and very fundamental category. There is basically, *needs* and the *means of their satisfaction*. I think terms like "disposition" and "constitution" and "motivation," even "representation," are derivative from an understanding of "needs." So what is at issue is not so much any specific understanding of "needs" but the idea of beginning an understanding of activity and development from an analysis of needs and the means of their satisfaction, at a very fundamental level. On the other questions you raise, I think others will have to assist us!

I am still thinking about this question of "unmediated experience." Of course, all experience is mediated. But it is also immediate. "Immediate" and "unmediated" - are these synonyms? translations of the same word? ??

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Andy
This is a fascinating topic.
You mention that we should be careful not to read into Vygotsky an
"intellectual" explanation for the child "understanding" the situation of
development.
However you are suggesting that Vygotsky IS  articulating the fundamental
role that NEEDS play in relation to the child's environment. Also the
concept of CONSTITUTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS [dispositions] plays a PRIMARY
role  in Vygotsky's theory of perezhivanie.  Vygotsky wrote
"In one situation some of my constitutional characteristics play a primary
role, but in another, different ones may play this primary role which may
not even appear at all in the first case"

Andy, in CHAT perspectives can these constitutional characteristics be
generalized  into a few categories or is every need unique, specific and
determined by the situation? If these needs can be categorized then how many
different  constitutional characteristics are conceptualized in the theory.
Is it reasonable to consider the term "dispositions" as a synonym for
"constitutional characteristics"  Mike's recent post suggests that
perezhivanie involves UNmediated experience which could include
dispositions.

The interplay of NEEDS [concrete or generalized] and DISPOSITIONS
[constitutional characteristics] needs further theorizing. There is another
tradition or Discourse which is also reflecting on dispositions, needs, and
constitutional characteristics, and how they are linked to the environment.
Ghent, Damasio, Lichtenberg, Edelman, and Daniel Stern are examples of
authors who have written on this topic of motivational systems within a
framework of dynamic systems theory. [I'm not sure how CHAT views Dynamic
systems theory?]

Just wondering
Larry