Re: [xmca] Caveat Emptor- Translation boo boos

Just to add yet another layer to the Russian babushka doll which is /perezivanie/.

Quite a while ago, someone recomended to me the book "/Perspectives on activity theory/" and in this book there is an article: "From addiction to self-governance" by /Anja Koski-Jännes/. I liked this so much that I transcribed it and preserved it at _http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/blackwood/addiction.htm_

Anja uses Peirce's categories of sign: icon, index and symbol, to describe the kind of trauma which provides an addict with the catharsis which can enable them to break out of their addiction. It seems to me that what she is getting at is the same concept as /perezhivanie/. Normally icon, symbol and index are not identical, but mediate one another, but experience lies in this relative identity. When the three types of sign become identified, then the experience becomes both cognitive and immediate; the person really "gets it!"

(This is quite symmetical to Hegel's idea of the concept as the identity of universal, particular and individual, another trilogy of Peircean categories of sign, which offers an insight into the learning of concepts.)

Andy
mike cole wrote:
Boris M just sent me a note about a totally essential error in that English
translation of the dictionary entry on
perezhivanie which prettily discombobulates the definition that Ysabel sent
earlier. The translation should
be general name for **UNmediated**  psychological experience (opyit); from
the subjective side".

These difficulties are enough to induce strong emotional experience  :-))
On the up-side, the great international/temporal diversity of XMCA is enough
to induce more warm and  fuzzy
.....ugh.... perezhivaniya.