[xmca] LSV, Marx, and the key to psychology as a whole

Please ignore this question if a) it's obviously ignorant or b) it's something that's already been addressed on this listserv.

I have my head twisted up in this vygotsky passage from his notebooks, quoted in the introduction to Mind in Society to illustrate vygostky's approach to making use of Marx in psychology:

"I don't want to discover the nature of mind by patching together a lot of quotations. I want to find out how science has to be built, to approach the study of mind having learned the whole of Marx's method... In order to create such an enabling theory-method in the generally accepted scientific manner, it is necessary to discover the essence of the given area of phenomena, the laws according to which they change, their qualitative and quantitative characteristics, their causes. It is necessary to formulate the categories and concepts that are specifically relevant to them in other words, to create one's own Capital.

"The whole of Capital is written according to the following method: Marx analyzes a single living 'cell' of capitalist society--for example, the nature of value. Within this cell he discovers the structure of the entire system and all of its economic institutions. He says that to a layman this analysis may seem a murky tangle of tiny details. Indeed, there may be tiny details, but they are exactly those which are essential to 'micro-anatomy.' Anyone who could discover what a 'psychological' cell is--the mechanism producing even a single response--would thereby find the key to psychology as a whole."

I'm also working through Martin Packer's 2006 AERA talk in which he considers the link between Marx's work and Vygotsky's, though acknowledging that "there are many Marxes, and indeed there are many Vygotskies." He argues that "a ‘Marxist psychology’ meant, for Vygotsky, a psychology which would bring about a revolution in the science of psychology, grasping and articulating the contradictions and conflicts in which psychology had become mired, and resolving and transcending these contradictions. A dialectical method of analysis – focused on the ‘cell’ – would play a central role, but clearly what Vygotsky drew from Marx went far beyond a mere method."

There's a lot to unpack in this passage (and for anyone who's interested in reading "Is there a Vygotskian philosophy after Marx?", You can grab the .pdf of it here), but what I'm most interested in at the moment is how to think of the "cell" in Vygotsky's approach. Can anyone help elucidate how this idea plays out in his writings, methodology, or efforts toward a cultural psychology?

Thanks in advance!
jenna

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~

http://jennamcwilliams.com
http://twitter.com/jennamcjenna

~