Re: [xmca] Vygotsky vs. Bakhtin (or, The Interpersonal Is Not the Sociocultural Redux)

Bakhtin said that there is no ETHICAL point in two people suffering together, empathy by itself produces neither consolation nor redress. "Misery loves company", but company does not love misery. Two miserable people are no more likely "to perform an ethical action such as providing assistance, consolation, or cognitive reflection" than one person is. In order to get an action and not just a feeling out of an esthetic response, we have to return to our own point of view. But in order for it to be ethical, we have to have gone out to the viewpoint of the other.

Vygotsky took this even further. He said that there is no ESTHETIC point in two people suffering instead of one either. The miracle of art is NOT that it spreads individual, personal, biological emotion from one person to another. That is merely the miracle of melodrama, horror films, thrillers, pornography and advertising.

The miracle of art is that the emotion shared out is a higher emotion to begin with. It is SOCIAL, CULTURAL, and COMMUNAL in nature, so the aesthetic response is not the response of the viewer to the emotion of the creator but rather a shared response to some larger ideological whole in which they both take part.

How could we test this? Well, we tried...in one of many studies submitted to MCA back in 2008 (you can actually see some of our raw data at the end of the video of our presentations on the MCA website). Our approach was to take four versions of a traditional story about "Pulgasari", the metal eating monster, and then code the response of two children (one three and a half and one four years old) as reflecting either:

a) "I am Pulgasari" (empathy, character point of view)
b) "I see Pulgasari" (sympathy, observer point of view)
c) "I talk about Pulgasari" (going out to the character point of view and then returning to the reader/viewer point of view)

To code the data, we used Hallidayan grammatical distinctions in mood.

Suppose the child says:

TY: Pulgasari likes metal.

The child "knows" this by taking the point of view of the Pulgasari. So the sentence "Pulgasari likes metal" suggests the sentence "I am Pulgasari", and that suggests EMPATHY.

Suppose the child says:

TY: Does Pulgasari like metal?

The child is asking somebody outside the story because the child does not know. So the sentence "Does Pulgasari like metal?" suggets the sentence "I (you, we) see Pulgasari" and that places the child OUTSIDE the story and suggests SYMPATHY.

We also used transitivity relations (again, Halliday's concept). Suppose the child says:

YH: I like Pulgasari.