[xmca] physical environment observation protocols for schools classrooms

Hi all,

I am looking for observation protocols for pure observation of stuff, resources, things on the walls of classrooms and buildings.

The topic is ELLs, but the question is: What is the evidence of school and classroom material resources, including enviromental print.

I have the SIOP protocol, but I’m looking for things that would be more in line with CREDE or NCCrest’s interests in evidence of school culture or climate, physical evidence (for a first pass, because classroom/teacher observations will come later).  The kind of protocol I’m looking for would allow researchers to go into a building and look at the physical space of the entrance, library, and a random set of classrooms, gathering info. on the protocol, but possibly also pictures of the 4 walls of a class.

 If you can give me any hints, names, etc. that would be great.  I did track down a book by Waxman, Tharp, et al. on Observation in Classrooms, and I know Harry Daniels has done some of this around artwork in halls.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Honorine

Honorine Nocon, Associate Professor
Linguistically Diverse Education
School of Education and Human Development
University of Colorado Denver
Phone:  +1-303-315-6306
Email:  honorine.nocon@ucdenver.edu