Re: [xmca] Where and What Is A Boundary?( is it between scientific and everyday concepts?)

Being a psychology major I brought my ideas pertaining to learning
theories to the table when I began my studies for becoming a teacher.  I
was amazed that the majority of my classes had nothing to do with how to
provide environments where student experienced genuine learning but rather
focused on classroom management and providing ‘checklist style’ lesson
plans.

The current paper for discussion certainly addresses a core issue of
education.  I have been a ‘student/teacher’ as well as a mentor and have
discovered the difficulties faced when the ‘scientific thinking’ of
academia conflict with the ‘everyday thinking’ of being a teacher.  Where
the boundary is in this I am not quite clear other than the dept of
Education does the telling, the university does the disseminating of the
department’s telling and the student/teacher is left to practice in the
reality of the classroom.

Teaching in an alternative program I have never had to provide syllabus’
for my classes because the instruction and the outcome are specifically
the same.  Is the student attending the science museum explorer’s club and
do they have the project completed?  Is the student writing the resume,
filling out applications, scheduling job interviews and following through
with employment?  At what level of independence does the student operate?
Now a new regime shift has directed us to provide syllabus’ for our
classes, the new administrator's don’t want the syllabus' to appear in the
‘everyday thinking’ style of the questions above they want goals, outcomes
attached to MN state standards.  Is this possible to do?  Of course it is
possible but it has nothing to do with student success, if it did we
wouldn’t have the 75% graduation rate (twice the national average for
special education students) we have experienced over the past 15 years.
Successful curriculum writing has nothing to do with genuine learning but
everything to do with complying to the political winds of the time.  How
this is a boundary I really truly don't know.

what do others think?
eric