Re: [xmca] Vygotsky vs. Bakhtin (or, The Interpersonal Is Not the Sociocultural Redux)

This seems generally an important set of ideas, David.  I can focus on just
one at a time and I started with this:

For the other, on the other hand, the whole thing must be turned on its
head: instead of the sociocultural emerging from the sum total of the
interpersonal, the interpersonal may only truly be made sense of as a
microcosm of the sociocultural.

*David-- If we follow Latour's logic in his article on interobjectivity in
MCA some time ago, it seems to suggest that the question you are asking is
very similar to "does the socio-cultural-historical grow out of the
phylogenetic" or vice versa. Clearly the phylogenetic preceds the
cultural-historical; the two "evolve" pari parsu with each other.* Both the
root-trunk-branch analogy and the river analogy seem apt here as various
hybrids of the phylogenetic and cultural-historical became part of a single
evolutionary process.

*The role of art in promoting a great variety of "alternative states" for
human experience, seems pretty plausible to me.*

Not at all sure what others think about any of this.
mike