From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Denise Newnham
Sent: 16 August 2010 12:47
To: 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'
Subject: RE: [xmca] Refugees and Conception abduction pseudo concepts and
Valsiner

Dear Paula, Jay, Michael, Andy and Larry,

These lines have become a bit entangled and so here I shall attempt to speak
of several ideas but still linked in to our primary abduction-pseudo concept
discussion.

1) Hierarchy pseudo concepts. I after a little help from my friend:) (Jaakko
Virkkunen, thankyou)It is not possible to put pseudo concepts on a highest
level. IF we go into Valsiner's Comparative study of human cultural
development and look at Chap 1 (under google studies) we can see where
perhaps the confusion came in. JV states that 'if we look carefully into
psychology's theoretical domain, we might see regression of initially
constructed concepts into a pseudo-concept...' concepts ( I presume he is
referring to scientific) regress then pseudo-concepts must be lower. He then
refers to the works of Smedslund pseudo - empiricism and that they refer to
empirical investigations in psychology that are devoted to the study of
issues that are necessarily true such as all Catholic popes are not married.
Here I can only presume that the process of whatever thinking has arrived at
a stage of a conclusion that attains social consensus. It is taken as fact.

My argument to this line of reasoning is that pseudo concepts contain
abductive reasoning and the realm of initial creativity but that abduction
(Paavola) are multi composited and sourced. Please see Paavola's article
that was attached.

Some pseudo-concepts may through generalization never go to higher levels of
thinking as the verification is of a very spontaneous nature due to the
persons motivation to justify, environment in the expanded sense of the
term. However if they are to lead to discovery that will then be a source
for development they will  need to go through deductive logic and
experimentation (inductive) and then perhaps another moment of abductive as
the new problems/contradictions arise. But this second stage will not be the
same as the primary as it has a stronger scientific scientific base. At all
times this process is an ongoing dialectic, historical dialogue. I should
give you an example here but you will have to wait for my article :)

2) De differentiation: there is a serious problem here and I cannot
understand as Jay did not either how the level of where one can no longer
speak of something can be reduced to over generalization or fossilized
knowledge. This is as well a complex phenomenon that has been over
simplified in this chapter. Not to mention all the other problems that Jay
highlighted

3)Abductive thinking is said to be weaker only in its form of logic but not
in its value as in the process of logic. Peirce had two periods of work on
abduction and as Paavola states they are not mutually exclusive but part of
the process or given to diverse situations and circumstances.

4) Piaget/Valsiner and Vygtosky. This would take quite a bit of answering
but the basic problem is that Vygotsky had a more holistic view based on
phylogentic, cultural historical, ontogenetic and microgenetic development
and so perhaps hard to get closer to when this is not the case... I do think
that Valsiner has very good thoughts and leave a lot to be done when working
on individual-and object as containing a dualism

All said and done I would like to thank you all for this discussion as it
sorted out the question for me. I shall now look at Davydov, Leontiev, and
other articles of Paavola and Hakkarainen.

Denise