Re: [xmca] The Grip of "Direct Instruction"

Thanks, David.
If anyone is interested I can send draft of paper for APA. It is similar to
my AERA address (but less interesting-- damned print!).

Sure, crappy instruction can come from "we pretend to teach they pretend to
learn" regimes. The examples I gave all have pretty good evidence in their
favor and in many cases detailed differentiation of what gets cut out as a
coherent program enters the sausage grinder.

While I am certainly willing to believe that people get into Universities
having acquired levels of learning that are very low ( I deal with transfer
students from California colleges, and direct admitees into UCSD who cannot
handle, for example, a book as complicated as *1984*, I do not believe that
it is a plausible account of the average Canadian university's entering
classes.

Apropos, however, of your point. Recent news reports concerning unemployment
indicate that there are a couple of hundred pretty well paid jobs going
begging in the US right now because there is a dearth of people who can
handle the work tasks. Not a new story -- one which puts many industries in
the business of paying new employees to learn a lot before they start
working.

I'll read your paper with interest.
mike