Re: [xmca] Educational Nightmare in AZ

Hi Mike and Everyone:
Thanks for expressing your support regarding the researchers affiliated with UCLA's Civil Rights Project. Patricia Gandara informed me that, at this point, the scholars have the legal representation they need. They are also being advised by the Dean of Law School at UCLA.

Please do note that the description of the researchers' treatment was written by Patricia and her colleague. At her request, I merely forwarded to the list serve. Below you will find a description and link to a newsreport regarding the situation in Education Week.

Best wishes,
Cathrene

Arizona Official Subpoenas Researchers' ELL Data
August 12, 2010  by Mary Ann Zehr

The state schools chief wants the civil rights researchers' data—including the names of study participants—for use in a court case over Arizona's approach to educating English-language learners.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2010/08/12/01arizona.h30.html?tkn=XMWFXzbqtGEomCLlAKn8YzUWZscDIcj%2FOKts&intc=es