From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: 05 August 2010 21:00
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Fwd: [COGDEVSOC] Call For Papers: Special Issue on
Mindreading, Review of Philosophy and Psychology

I think the connections you make are great, Denise.

Is there any chance of producing a pdf of the pages of Jaan's book that you
reference? Many people do not have it.

Markova is always interesting.

I am going out of town shortly for 10 days or would do it here.

mike

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Denise Newnham <dsnewnham@bluewin.ch>wrote:

> Dear Larry and others,
>
> I am new to this game so perhaps am doing something out of turn so if so
> let
> me know. Larry I read your reply and this extract below made me think of
> Valsiner's work on semiotic mediators and concepts where he states that
> pseudoconcepts (1998, p.278-279) should be placed at the top to the
> developmental hierarchy as the hierarchy should be seen as 'open to
changes
> or formation of intrasensitive order- [see Valsiner, 1997d]' (2001, p.
> 85).This brings ot my mind Markova's discussion on the spontaneous of
> intuitive in knowledge formation (2003) and I think that Cole's fifth
> dimension attests to this argument. There is an interesting paper by
> Galligan (2008) "using Valsiner" on the web.
>
> Denise
>
> 'These reflections of linking up multiple perspectives lead to the
> developmental question of how  socially situated microgenetic experiences
> get "generalized" into "higher" levels of organization that organize
> experience across situations [and organize the relation of the "lower" and
> "higher"
> functions]?'

It
> [...]
> However, this still leaves us with questioning  the RELATIONAL process of
> linking language and metaphor to the other levels of organization at the
> sensorimotor and perceptual levels.
> Stern, Reddy, Werner, Glick, Gillespie & Martin, Mike and Natalia, and
> others are exploring the possible dynamic fluidity of the capacity for
> organizing and structuring the 3 levels of experience that may be more
> reciprocal [and possibly simultaneous assemby] than a linear teleological
> dynamic.  The question becomes, how central are the sensorimotor and
> perceptual ways of "constructing" or "forming" experience once social
> situations of development are  symbolic [and metaphorical]?  As Glick
> points
> out, Werner believed these language and symbolic functions "undergo a
> differentiation process from deeper sensorimotor roots." (p.562) However
> these deeper roots are NOT TRANSCENDED but continue to organize
experience.
> The notion of "leading activity" implies an INVARIANT linear process where
> specific leading activity DOMINATES each stage of development.  An
> alternative perspective emphasizes the fluidity of these "leading
> activities" as continuing to remain central for development. For
> example functions such as "affiliation" are not only dominant in one
> specific stage of developmentand then recede into the background, but
> ACTUALLY continue to ACTIVELY organize experience [depending on the
> societal
> microgenetic situation of development].  Whether the previous "leading
> activity" recedes or remains active is dependent, not on the stage of
> development [age determined] but rather on the particular social situation
> of development. Mike's point that particular school contexts correlate
with
> particular ages of students allows 2 alternative models of development.
> Stage theory that is age "determined" or layered development that is
> socially situated [schools CONSTRAIN affiliative activity which recedes
> into
> the background]  If the 2nd alternative guided how we structured schools
> and
> affiliation and interchangeability of social positions was VALUED,
identity
> and concept development would be altered.
> My personal fascination, working in schools, is the idea of the
possibility
> of creating institutional structures which promote the "interchangeability
> of social positions in social acts" and how to facilitate social spaces
> which nurture this interchangeability. An example of this is the creation
> of
> the 5th dimension METAPHORICAL SPACES where interchangeability of
positions
> is fluid and dynamic and leads to the development of "agentic capacity"
> where ALL participants experience being recognized and experiencing
OTHERS
> RESPONDING to their recognition.  This affiliative activity is formative
of
> particular "identity" characteristics [communal self] and also "concept
> development" formed within microgenetic moments of development. The reason
> appreciate  neo-Meadian accounts of development are
> there privileging the centrality of ACTUAL INTERCHANGEABILITY of social
> positions [which simultaneously organize and regulate sensorimotor,
> perceptual, and symbolic experiences].  I also believe this "ideal" of
> actual interchangeability is fundamentally affiliative and dialogical as
> the
> participants openly share perspectives.  This also creates social
> spaces where cognitive development [and reflective capacity] is nurtured
> and
> "grown" [cultured]
>
> Larry
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Katerina Plakitsi <kplakits@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Larry, with "trans situated" do you mean that you accept "metaphor",
> which
> > is been considered as a constructivist argument?
> > Katerina Plakitsi
> > Assistant Professor of Science Education
> > Department of Early Childhood Education
> > School of Education
> > University of Ioannina
> > 45110
> > Greece
> > tel.: +302651005771 office
> > fax: +302651005842
> > tel.: +6972898463 mobile
> > e-mail: kplakits@cc.uoi.gr
> > http://users.uoi.gr/kplakits
> > http://users.uoi.gr/5conns
> > http://erasmus-ip.uoi.gr
> > http://www.edife.gr/school/5oschool.html

Review
> >> of
> >> Philosophy and Psychology?
> >>
> >> I'm curious about the various theories of young infants capacity for
> >> engaging with others within sociogenesis, ontogenesis, and
microgenesis.
> >> However, I'm also interested in how the various  models of "infants
> >> engaging
> >> with others" become transformed in the transition to
> >> TRANS-situational understandings  [the development of "higher" mental
> >> functions.]
> >>
> >> Larry
> >>
> >> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> Begin forwarded message: