Re: [xmca] Question

Mike, your point about controlling ourselves from the outside reminds me of an interesting experiment Leontiev talked about, which I found rewarding to look back at and try to describe. I like it because it has such a nice visual aspect, jumping off a seven-story tower. Do you see this as an example of the idea of acquiring the ability to control oneself from the outside?

AN Leontiev in an informal article entitled "Will" (in JREEP July Aug 2005) tells of an interesting experiment he was involved in in the 1930's at an amusement park where people jumped off a high platform and parachuted down to the ground. The ride was safe, but sometimes people would get the equipment strapped on and would get to the jump platform and would choose not to jump, which was called a refusal. However, these refusals were rare. Leontiev and his team investigated these occasional refusals - why were they rare? What caused them? Apparently the research was at the behest of the military.

Two motives were in conflict in this situation, a desire to jump, and motive stemming from a fear of stepping into an abyss. They created a plank that was sensitive to weight shifts to better understand the person's movements and discovered that while the person was making their initial tentative move forward over the ledge, there was a momentary "backward push," an unconscious micro-movement away from the initial forward motion. It was at this point that the person either would then make the step forward, pushing themselves off, and enter the jump, or step back, and refuse. The conflict of motives could be detected as different aspects of the motor system going in opposite directions (which I would like to understand better - this seems important as part of studying conflicts of motives, how it is expressed in our bodies).

Naturally, of course, the experimenters tinkered with how the person was strapped in and instructed, to see what they could change regarding the rate of refusals.

The usual and normally successful procedure employed on the ride was to strap people in, tell them to look at their parachute (in other words, at themselves, and not down) and tell them "you do not have to jump, just step forward." People would usually tentatively step a little forward, do the "backward push" thing, and then go through with the jump.

A way the experimenters modified the usual procedures for sending people on their jumps predictably increased the number of refusals. They fumbled with the equipment while strapping them into it, giving the impression there was some difficulty, they pointed to something on the ground 7 stories below pointing out how far down it was, whereupon the person would naturally look, and they complicated the final instructions with a remark that "it is not dangerous because the parachute is balanced." Refusals increased.

They also devised a mechanism that got nearly anyone who had initially refused to wind up jumping anyway. This mechanism, a translucent tissue, was stretched out in such a way as to obscure most of the field of vision over the abyss. It obscured objects, depth perception, etc. The parachutists were told the tissue of course would not stop their fall. Now, almost everyone who had originally refused went through with it. The tissue itself was attached to an apparatus on a hinge, so it fell perpendicular to the tower, and could therefore be reused (and was not actually broken by the parachutist).

The external device of the tissue seemed to demonstrate that with the visual field over the abyss covered up, the motive to avoid stepping into the void was almost completely overridden by the motive to jump.

- Steve