[xmca] FW: NYTimes.com: Does Your Language Shape How You Think?

Larry (and others),
I'm not sure if I'm reading you right, but just to be clear, John Lucy is a
proponent of Whorf's ideas. His main argument is that while Whorf may have
overreached in some of his work, the standard interpretation of Whorf mis-
represents Whorf's position. Take, for example, the whole eskimos and umpteen
words and Orwell's book 1984 and language as a prison of thought. These are
all caricatures of Whorf's position that, unfortunately, got taken up by people
(academic and popular) who claimed to be arguing FOR his position even
though many had not read his work. The result was that this overly simplified
argument became a kind of common received knowledge, even hegemonic
among college undergrads (even though it didn't really get at Whorf's point) and
thus it became ripe for a critical response. Steven Pinker was one of the major
popular critics (and I suspect that this was the set that Mike was referring to in
his comment).

In my reading of Whorf, Whorf's point is not that language is a "prison house".
Rather, his point is that it shapes our thinking in important ways. Most
importantly, as you point to Larry, it shapes our habitual thought. I had a post
on XMCA about a year ago where I responded to Peter Jones' paper rejecting
linguistic mediation and used an example of the everyday habit of driving down
the street (I'll send it to you offline since I can't seem to find it in the archives) .
This is not to say that you can't speak about or understand the organization of
the categories of another language. This was exactly what Whorf's project was -
to understand how other languages ordered the world differently from his own.

I see Whorf's point as one that picks up on Kant's point about the mediated
nature of reality (and one could invoke Hegel here as well, a Hegel-Herder-
Humboldt-Boas-Sapir-Whorf lineage) (and I once heard someone refer to John
as a neo-Kantian in his presence and he did not appear to be offended). This is
just taking that point of mediation in a direction that can be empirically
explored (and there is plenty here that would offend Kant's sensibilities, no
doubt...). Importantly though, it is a really complicated thing to try to explore
empirically because even the very domain that you are studying (e.g. "color")
can be one that is differently encoded in different languages. So how do you
even choose some thing in the world that can be used to investigate the
question? It is a difficult question that John takes up in his article "The
Linguistics of Color" (1997 The linguistics of "color." In C.L. Hardin and L. Maffi
(eds.), Color Categories in Thought and Language. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, pp. 320-46.). It is this kind of complexity that Pinker and his
fans gloss over completely. .

For a thorough and in-depth consideration of the problem, I'd suggest his
Annual Review of Anthropology paper at:

http://home.uchicago.edu/%7Ejohnlucy/vitaematerials/annual-review.pdf

His website, which has additional .pdf's can be accessed at:

http://home.uchicago.edu/%7Ejohnlucy/vitae.htm#Books

And yes, there are some wonderful affinities between this literature and the
CHAT perspective esp. with regard to language and thought.

Hope some of this was useful...

-greg

<lpscholar2@gmail.com>

_r=1&adxnnl=1&emc=eta1&adxnnlx=1283000763-rynkTFk68LNetdkYjfAi8Q