Re: [xmca] Valsiner and pseudoconcepts

What do you make of this, Denise? yourself.
Andy

Denise Newnham wrote:
Dear Michael,
I wrote to Jaan about your question as no where was it clearly stipulated in
the earlier works and he has just replied so I forward his words and text

Denise

Dear Denise,

Good question! In 1998 I was somewhat naively optimistic about Peirce cand
abduction (see Pizarroso & V 2009 on overcoming that optimism).

But the 1998 quote from my book is indeed an embryonic form of what later
(2001 in Potsdam, and more thoroughly in my 2007 book CULTURE IN MINDS AND
SOCIETIES became clear-- words as POINT-LIKE CONCEPTS cannot be the highest
level of semiotic mediation as they would close up further creativity of
meaning-making. So Vygotsky was basically limited.

Instead, the pseudo-concept translates in my terminology into field-type
sign (Level 4 in my system of semiotic mediation)

Jaan