Re: [xmca] Fwd: [COGDEVSOC] Call For Papers: Special Issue on Mindreading, Review of Philosophy and Psychology

Hi Leif and Katerina

Leif,
I have recently read Daniel Stern's latest book "The Present Moment" and I
agree that he has a fascinating perspective on the topic of "engagement"
that emphasizes a "non-mind reading interpretation" of engaging with
others.  I will look up his earlier work discussing Vygotsky and Glick.  It
is also interesting that you mention Joseph Glick. Glick's articles on
Werner are also fascinating as they suggest that Werner was also focused on
"microgenesis" as central to developmental accounts.

Katerina,
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "accept metaphor" but generally I
accept metaphor as a central way of understanding "human science" as
interpretive and "perspectival".  As I read  Glick's interpretation of
Werner's microgenetic developmental theory, I was also REFLECTING on Mike &
Natalia's focus on the microgenetic social situation of development, and
also my attempt to link these perspectives with neo-Meadian notions of
social ACTS [interchangeability of actual social positions].  These
reflections of linking up multiple perspectives lead to the developmental
question of how  socially situated microgenetic experiences get
"generalized" into "higher" levels of organization that organize experience
across situations [and organize the relation of the "lower" and "higher"
functions]?

Glick's article "Werner's Relevance for Contemporary Developmental
Psychology"  points out that Werner thought developmental processes got
organized "at one of  three different levels: the sensorimotor, the
perceptual, or the symbolic." (p.562)  Metaphor organizes experience at the
3rd symbolic level and at this level we can have metaphoric models of "mind"
[for example: conversation, text, computers, dance, orchestra, etc.]
However, this still leaves us with questioning  the RELATIONAL process of
linking language and metaphor to the other levels of organization at the
sensorimotor and perceptual levels.
Stern, Reddy, Werner, Glick, Gillespie & Martin, Mike and Natalia, and
others are exploring the possible dynamic fluidity of the capacity for
organizing and structuring the 3 levels of experience that may be more
reciprocal [and possibly simultaneous assemby] than a linear teleological
dynamic.  The question becomes, how central are the sensorimotor and
perceptual ways of "constructing" or "forming" experience once social
situations of development are  symbolic [and metaphorical]?  As Glick points
out, Werner believed these language and symbolic functions "undergo a
differentiation process from deeper sensorimotor roots." (p.562) However
these deeper roots are NOT TRANSCENDED but continue to organize experience.
The notion of "leading activity" implies an INVARIANT linear process where a
specific leading activity DOMINATES each stage of development.  An
alternative perspective emphasizes the fluidity of these "leading
activities" as continuing to remain central for development. For
example functions such as "affiliation" are not only dominant in one
specific stage of developmentand then recede into the background, but
ACTUALLY continue to ACTIVELY organize experience [depending on the societal
microgenetic situation of development].  Whether the previous "leading
activity" recedes or remains active is dependent, not on the stage of
development [age determined] but rather on the particular social situation
of development. Mike's point that particular school contexts correlate with
particular ages of students allows 2 alternative models of development.
Stage theory that is age "determined" or layered development that is
socially situated [schools CONSTRAIN affiliative activity which recedes into
the background]  If the 2nd alternative guided how we structured schools and
affiliation and interchangeability of social positions was VALUED, identity
and concept development would be altered.
My personal fascination, working in schools, is the idea of the possibility
of creating institutional structures which promote the "interchangeability
of social positions in social acts" and how to facilitate social spaces
which nurture this interchangeability. An example of this is the creation of
the 5th dimension METAPHORICAL SPACES where interchangeability of positions
is fluid and dynamic and leads to the development of "agentic capacity"
where ALL participants experience being recognized and experiencing  OTHERS
RESPONDING to their recognition.  This affiliative activity is formative of
particular "identity" characteristics [communal self] and also "concept
development" formed within microgenetic moments of development. The reason I
appreciate  neo-Meadian accounts of development are
there privileging the centrality of ACTUAL INTERCHANGEABILITY of social
positions [which simultaneously organize and regulate sensorimotor,
perceptual, and symbolic experiences].  I also believe this "ideal" of
actual interchangeability is fundamentally affiliative and dialogical as the
participants openly share perspectives.  This also creates social
spaces where cognitive development [and reflective capacity] is nurtured and
"grown" [cultured]

Larry