Re: [xmca] History of triangle metaphors in post-Piagetian theory

Carol
I read the article by Zittoun et al as recognizing that Piaget's theory  did
not theorize "other" as central,  but Piaget did write about the social in
his sociological studies in later life.  Zittoun's article however suggest
that post-Piagetian theory finds this later writing compelling
as it recognizes the weakness of Piaget's earlier accounts in theorizing
"other".  2nd and 3rd generation Piagetian scholars  have taken the
direction that Piaget pointed to in his sociological studies and extended
Piaget's sociogenetic model by engaging with Vygotsky, Mead, and Bernstein.
Now whether foregrounding "other" throughout the lifespan is still
recognized as Piagetian or should be considered  a"mediational model" is
open to debate.  What interested me in the article was the CENTRALITY of
"other" in the models Zittoun et al have labelled sociogenetic and
post-Piagetian. [for historical reasons]

A theorist named Robert Kegan  wrote a book called "The Evolving Self"
which was written as an extension of Piagetian theory that suggests each
"stage" of development is a re-negotiation of Self/Other differentiation.
At each level what is experienced as what you HAVE [objective] and what is
experienced as who you ARE [subjective] is re-negotiated.   Robert Kegan
could be labelled a post-Piagetian and he suggests that the Self/Other
dialectic is never completed but is a developmental achievement which
evolves within predictable stages.  He called his theory
"Constructive-Developmental". It is the extension of Piagetian theory to
theorize the centrality of "other" in the development of "self" that seems
to be the hallmark of Kegan's post-Piagetian tradition. Kegan worked at
Harvard with W. Perry, L. Kohlberg, Carol Gilligan, and Sharon Parks.  I'm
not sure how this theoretical model has evolved since the 1980's when Kegan
wrote his book but it is one example of how sosciogenetic models can be
extended in ways Piaget could not imagine.

Post-Piagetian theory  seems to be embracing many insights of Activity
theory and there may be an emerging synthesis in the spirit of "both/and"
that Mike mentioned.

I also find it interesting that the article written by Alex Gillespie and
Jack Martin, recently written from a neo-Meadian perspective, [article can
be accessed and downloaded from Gillespie's website] was being presented at
the yearly meeting of the Piagetian Society.  It seems in 2010 that
post-Piagetian theorizing is continuing to see "other" as central to the
emergence of "agentic capacity".

I'm going to read Tolman's article as a response to the above thoughts as I
attempt to understand the linkages between the accounts of "activity" and
accounts of the "other(s)"

Carol, I hope this was helpful in clarifying my thinking on this topic.

Larry