Re: [xmca] Dialogue on Concepts Part 1 Released!

I have three pieces of very recent research in our department to add to the Tolman article on this question. They are all about something we may call "volition" but which I think is very hard to call "distance" or "decentration" except in an unhelpfully metaphorical way.

It's all thesis work that was just finished up last month. I would like to share it with you here because I'm pretty sure it's unpublishable (we had a pretty tough time just getting the nod from my normally very amiable colleagues, and I'm not really sure why).

The first thesis, by Minkyeong Yi, concerns the distinction between the following initiates, which may be graded according to the degree of agency required in the response.

NONVERBAL RESPONSE REQUIRED

1. Don't listen T: (writing on the board, talking to a colleague, doing something that does not require learner participation at all).
2. Look and listen T: Look! (points to her head) This is my head! (names her head)
3. Listen and do T: Point to your head! (children point to their heads)

VERBAL RESPONSE REQUIRED

4. Listen and repeat T: Listen and say it. This is my head (children repeat)
5: Listen and answer yes or no T: Is this my head (or my foot)? (children answer yes or no)
6. Listen and finish the sentence  T: This is...? (children complete the sentence)

VERBAL THINKING REQUIRED

7. Listen and answer with a word T: What's this?
8. LIsten and answer with a sentence T: Tell me about this.
9. Listen  and answer with a superordinate concept T: What kind of thing is a head?

You can see that the various question forms require quite different degrees of agency on the part of the children. But you can ALSO see that precisely BECAUSE they require different degrees of agency on the part of the children that they are NOT going to always get what is required (so for example it's possible to give a nonverbal response to a request for verbal thinking, etc.).

As a result (I think) we found that this idea of direct demand correlated poorly (though significantly) with the level of abstraction in the response we were looking for, except for ONE lesson, which was, I think noncoincidentally, about family members.The thing about volition is that it is by definition not required, although in a developmental sense it is, of course, necessary.

I don't think this is "distance" in any real sense. In at least one important sense, it's the opposite: the child is getting closer to the essence of the concept and further away from the merely seen and heard. I also don't think it's "decentration" in any useful way; in some ways it's the opposite, because the child is learning his/her place in the system.

The second piece of work, by Eunshil Kim, is more directly about motivation. We were looking at how the kids' preferences, stated on a questionnaire, really corresponded to the choices they made in conversation. For example, if they said that their favorite character was Jinho and their least favorite character was Peter, did that mean that they spent a lot of time talking about Jinho and ignored Peter? (Jinho is a Korean and Peter is black.)

It often meant, in practice, that they spent a lot of time talking about Peter and ignored Jinho. But we also found out that the students did not really differentiate much between major and minor characters, but within characters they are more interested in mental processes (feeling verbs) than material (action verbs), at least in the sense that the former produce much longer sentences and much longer exchanges.

Once again, it doesn't seem to me that the concept of "distantiation" really explains much. Of course we might explain the difference between "favorite character" and "favorite topic of conversation" as the difference between wanting to BE Jinho and wanting to TALK ABOUT Jinho. But that doesn't explain our other results at all. Much the same can be said of "decentration".

The third bit of thesis work is by Seongeun Hong. We divided the output of the kids into three rough groups based on Tomasello:

a) Fixed expressions (e.g. "hello", "goodbye" and fixed textbook phrases)
b) Item-based combinations (e.g. "Let's + verb", "I'm a + noun" and combinations of grammatical patterns in the textbook with "free" vocabulary)
c) Creative abstract constructions (e.g. SVO).

Now what we discovered is that you are MUCH more likely to get c) if you are talking about "him" or "her" than if you are talking about "I" and "you". I don't think this is exactly distantiation, because in a very important sense it's the very opposite: the kids are mostly talking about PICTURES when they say "he" and "she" (What is Jinho doing?) and they are mostly talking about IMAGINARY SITUATIONS when they say "I" and "you" (T: Sanghun, let's go swimming after class!). But it certainly is what Trevarthenan is on about when he talks about secondary intersubjectivity.

Put together I think I can offer the following "definition" of volition, at least in so far as child foreign language learning is concerned (Chapter Six of Thinking and Speech). Volition is the ability to discriminate between, isolate, and control the elements in a discourse, a text, an utterance, a word, a syllable, and not simply take the unit as given. This ability to discriminate, isolate, and control allows the child free will in the following very important sense: it allows the child to say things that the child has never heard.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education