[xmca] Gita died

With bitter grief I inform you that Gita L'vovna Vygodskaya passed away
today. The funeral will take place July 16 in the morning.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 7:18 PM
To: Eugene Matusov
Cc: eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: [xmca] Re: Featuring EDUC259 on Japanese Public TV

Hi Eugene--

Nice picture of your students and the community center and the activities.
One aspect of the program seemed misleading to me. Perhaps you could
clarify. It appeared that the students were not, in the commonly understood
use of that term, volunteers. They appeared to be students who were engaged
in this practice as a part of a college course for which they got credit and
perhaps a grade?

As you know, I am very much in favor of this kind of course at the college
level for many reasons, but I distinguish it from volunteers from the local
community, for example, who come and help out at the center, who are not
paid, get no institutionalized credits, and see it as a part of "giving back
to the community."

Could you clarify? At this particular moment, momentum for *courses* linked
not only to teacher preparation, but for a variety of reasons, is building
at UCSD and I would like to be able to show this video to administrators,
but fear of mis-speaking about the basis of student participation and how
volunteer work becomes a part of a professor's lectures.

mike