Re: [xmca] The sociocultural turn in psychology

This book ("The Sociocultural Turn in Psychology. The
Contextual Emergence of Mind and Self," edited by Suzanne R.
Kirschner and Jack Martin) arrived from Amazon today. I have
been just far to busy to read the whole book at the moment,
but I did take the opportunity to read the last article, by
Natalia Gajdamaschko and Mike Cole.

It was a good read, summing up a series of problems about
formal schooling, social change, context and situation and
the differing diachronic and synchronic interpretations of
cultural and historical difference, particularly between
Russian and American Vygotskyists.

I think I had read a lot of it elsewhere, but this is a very
recent and concise recapitulation of the issues. It may well
be that our Russian friends interpret "social situation of
development" exlusively in the context of a single series of
non-overlapping stages of development, but I really think
this is not only independent of the concept of  situation
(as opposed to 'context'), but really antithetical to it.

Am I right, Mike, that you were intentionally recruiting
Vygotsky in the service of richer interpreation? I would.

I also noted the observation that some people more easily
remember (and presumably conceptualise in some way) an idea
which is presented to them in a story, rather than as a
collection of attributes in an hierarchical taxonomy. I
personally think that there is nothing "primitive" about
thinking in narratives. In fact, if someone wants to arrange
ways of thinking in a hierarchy, I would put narratives at
the top. I remember asking an old friend from the 60s why we
who got politicised in the late 60s/70s, liked folk music in
the 50s/early 60s, while all those who went off and got jobs
liked rock music. What was the connection? She said: folk
music had stories, whilst rock music was just "Baby baby, do
you love my shoes?" or whatever.

Andy
mike cole wrote:
Looks to be an interesting book. There is a rumor that at some point in the future contributing authors will see a copy! :-)
mike