From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu]
On Behalf Of Martin Packer
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:42 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] perception/conception etc

Michael,

I am having some difficulty following your argument. Let me see if I can
reconstruct what you are saying.

First, you say I am presupposing my conceptions. Yes, I suppose I am. Is
there a way of engaging in debate that does not presuppose conceptions?
Or perhaps your point is that I should be critiquing my conceptions,
albeit necessarily from within? But isn't that what I am doing? I am
critiquing our common assumption that emotion is somehow prior to
culture.
Second, you say that one does not know what pain is before one
experiences it. I suppose that is true too, in a narrow sense. Would you
say I do not know what Australia is before I visit it? We need to draw
distinctions between different kinds of knowledge, don't we?
But do I "know" what Australia is after I have experienced it? Surely
yes, but there are many ways to know a continent, and there are many
ways to know pain.
If you are trying to draw a distinction between theoretical knowledge
and practical knowledge, I would certainly agree with you. To call only
the latter "real" knowledge is problematic, however. Even Heidegger,
who, as you know, emphasized the ready-to-hand mode of engagement in
practical activity and was critical of what he called the
pure-present-at-hand of detached contemplation, granted a place for
deliberation and articulation. We could hardly view the book Being &
Time as a practical manual, could we?! Bourdieu himself wrote text upon
text in which he demonstrated his symbolic mastery, albeit with an
ambivalence (especially clear in Homo Academicus) that shows the
problems that come from attributing the status of "real knowledge" only
to practical know-how.

In an earlier message you wrote "we know pain in and through the
experience of pain not because of cultural-historical concepts." It is
not clear to me whether you want to say that we don't know pain because
of culture, or because of concepts. If it is the former, I disagree with
you, as I explained in my last message.
But if it is the latter, my response has to be that it all depends on
what one means by 'concepts,' and this is where we came in, isn't it?
None of us seems to sure what we mean by a concept. The standard
psychological definition is that a concept is a mental representation,
and I certainly agree that the experience of pain is prior to mental
representations. But I presume that a sociocultural approach is aiming
to develop a different conception of concepts. One approach would be to
argue that concepts exist precisely in practical activities, as a mode
of human engagement in the world. (You mentioned Merleau-Ponty, who has
explored this. For M-P, the 'invisible' that is in 'the visible' is the
conception that is always in perception, to put it briefly.) My point
was that what counts as pain, and the way pain is experienced (or love)
is always the consequence of our participation in cultural practices. I
would not rule out the possibility of conceiving of this participation
in terms of concepts, suitably rethought.

Martin