Re: [xmca] FW: Cultural History of Play

Seems to me that this is the sort of thing that needs to be done
collaboratively, including collaboratively with a journal or publishing
house editor. It could even be started as a few skype multi-party
discussions by key participants to see the extent to which they make sense
to each other.

I have done research with standard psychological tasks in the Yucatan in the
past, and clearly one issue in cross-cultural/cross-national research on
play and development is the issue of what constitutes legitimate data for
what kinds of claims (what kinds of warrants) should be part of the
discussion. But I suggest you start with Mary's contribution: There are some
things clearly important in those citations and there will be points of
disagreement, of course.

I see no need at the moment to fall into the neurosciences craze and wait
upon it. Viz a viz theory of mind there are summaries of existing data to be
had. Pentti's point about the difficulties of international communication
owing to different theoretical backgrounds, which have different traditions
for linking theory to data (e.g., different methodOLIGIES - principled
linkages between theory and data).

Pentti is in the best position of anyone interested in this topic I know of
for selecting something from Elkonin. (I didn't know anything other than
what appeared in the book and thought you could choose from there, but of
course, that would be up to you).

As in all such endeavors, does anyone want to play "take the lead" and
create such an activity? If not, we'll just putt along as we were. Great
topic, play, especially when it is considered allong with socioemotional
attachment, learning what your parents and the world have to teach you in
school and elsewhere, peer relations, and work(!). That is what makes work
such as Suzanne's so important; A series of contributions that worked
"outward" from her basic descriptions of her basic domains would be
enlightening.

Ah, summer, when for us privileged few, the summer is easy, (if hot,
sticky,oilspilled, and downright worrisome).
mike