Re: [xmca] Generalization Is Not Abstraction Again

David, huh?

A central aspect of that early paper - an interpretive study of moral conflicts - was Joseph de Rivera's proposal that an emotion is an interpersonal movement. (Social, not individual.) That there is a systematic structure to the emotions, captured in the diagrams with dimensions of intimacy, status, and openness. (Not anarchic.) That, following Hume, reason will always be a slave to the passions, but in the sense that there is a rationality to emotion - emotion is a way of being engaged and involved in the world. (Emotion is an important but neglected way of understanding a situation prior to reasoning, not biological or irrational.)

Martin