Re: [xmca] FW: Cultural History of Play

Thanks Suzanne! Our discussion started around the article in a recent New
Yorker about design of playgrounds for kids that traces their original
intentions in the hands of late 19th century progressives to the current
feeding frenzy about developing little kids' brains.

Mary suggested the article in the first place and in response to a question
from me she remarked on cultural variations in the way 3-6 year olds are
treated and behave in various cultures (her example was 3 year olds walking
a long way to school by themselves that she has encountered in South
Africa). I mentioned examples from Barbara Rogoff's text book, and cc'ed
you. you are up to date. thanks again.
mike