Re: [xmca] FW: Cultural History of Play

Hi Mary--
Thanks for the tip on that story underneath the oil spill. I had not read
that far yet. I have read it now, though.

There was a lot in that article that was new to me. (I assume the pod cast
text was the same as the written text??)  I have never read about the
history of the playground movement and found it very interesting. It was
also fascinating the stars in this current story were architects who had
kids or were fascinated by the freedom of design that playgrounds,
relatively speaking, allow.

The link of play-as-educating-young-minds to the contemporary obsession with
the brain is one I am more familiar with. Below I append the self
promotional advertising associated with a journal that is squarely focused
on this topic. I think that an immanent critique of this line of activity
begging to be done from a CHAT perspective.

Is this a topic you would be interested in pursuing on XMCA?
mike
PS-- It looks cold down your way judging from the way World Cup players are
bundled up

-------------------------

Mind, Brain, and Education

The official journal of the International Mind, Brain, and Education
Society<http://www.imbes.org/>

*Edited by:*
Editor-in-Chief: Kurt Fischer Managing Editor: David Daniel

 ------------------------------

*Mind, Brain, and Education* (*MBE*), recognized as the 2007 *Best New
Journal* in the Social Sciences & Humanities by the Association of American
Publishers' Professional & Scholarly Publishing Division, provides a forum
for the accessible presentation of basic and applied research on learning
and development, including analyses from biology, cognitive science, and
education.

The journal grew out of the International Mind, Brain, and Education
Society's <http://www.imbes.org/> mission to create a new field of mind,
brain and education, with educators and researchers expertly collaborating
in integrating the variety of fields connecting mind, brain, and education
in research, theory, and/or practice.The broad target audience is educators,
school personnel, teacher educators, educational policy professionals, and
researchers in general, who wish to explore careful, high quality research
and practice-based evaluation relevant to education in an international
context.

Click on the 'Aims &
Scope'<http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/aims.asp?ref=1751-2271&site=1>page
for more information.
Top <http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=1751-2271#top>News and
Announcements

*MBE* has been recognized as the *Best New Journal* in the Social Sciences &
Humanities by the Association of American Publishers' Professional &
Scholary Publishing (PSP) Division. To read more about *MBE* and the Best
New Journal award, click
here<http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/press/pressitem.asp?ref=1614>
.

*MBE's* Launch Party
PODCASTS<http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/podcast/mbe.asp>are now
available to download:

Kurt Fischer (Harvard University), Howard Gardner (Harvard University),
Maryanne Wolf (Tufts University), and Stanislas Dehaene (Collège de France)
discuss their recent findings regarding how brain science informs
educational practice. Download and listen
today<http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/podcast/mbe.asp>
.

A *New* Journal in 2007 Linking Biology, Cognitive Science, & Educational
Practice

*NIH Public Access Mandate*
For those interested in the Wiley-Blackwell policy on the NIH Public Access
Mandate, *please visit our policy
statement*.<http://www.wiley.com/go/nihmandate>