[xmca] New Yorker cover

I know that Vygotsky categorises "family groups" as a type of complex, but I think that when someone sees, for example, knife, fork, plate and spoon as forming a set, (a.k.a. a "table setting") this is, in my view, a qualitatively different thing from seeing as a set a plate, a bicycle wheel and a rainbow as a group (a.k.a., "round things"). The former understand things as belonging to some larger functional group; the latter abstracts one contingent attribute from things and groups them together on that basis.

The New Yorker cover has pairwise family groups, things which "go together like a horse and carriage."

Andy

Steve Gabosch wrote:
Andy, I agree - the pairs represented on the magazine cover don't seem to be binary. That is, none of the pairs seems to represent only two possible categories. (A side remark on binary classification - your comments reminded me of the old Porphyrian tree, which takes a category and then divides it into two classes, and then divides one or both of those classes into two, and keeps repeating. An example of such a tree: all reality is made of either thought or extended bodies; all bodies are either animate or inanimate; all animate bodies are either plants or animals; all animals are either vertebrates or invertebrates; all vertebrates are either mammals or non-mammals, etc. etc.)

I am not exactly sure what a complementary mutually constituting set is. Would a bow and a violin, and a match and a firecracker, qualify? How about fire and ice? Two identical objects? An egg and a slice of bacon? That pesky magnet and compass?

Your point about Vygotsky's "family groups" - that is, complexes - is apt. That method of classification allows us to associate just about any two things that share at least one property (eaten for breakfast, use magnetism, either hot or cold, etc.)

I didn't know it was an inherent property of all artifacts that another artifact exists that fits it. It is certainly often true. If you include the human body as a type of artifact, I think I would agree with this idea as being universal, since all human-produced artifacts are extensions in some way of humans themselves. Hence, all artifacts must "fit" either to another artifact or directly to a human body. If you don't include the human body, and are only referring to fitting to other artifacts or objects, I am curious how this intriguing claim could be demonstrated as always being true. (For example, if you subtract the human, what does a magic wand fit?) I am also curious who makes this claim ...

- Steve