From: mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
Subject: [xmca] translating and transporting
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 8:21 PM

Reading a draft paper about a form of activity he created and how to
understand its genesis,
Ivan Rosero surprised me by using the term, tranalation instead of the word,
transported. Talking about an interesting "playworld" activity he had
created, unlike any I have seen described before, he wrote that
.  "This [the complex network of historical contingencies from which Ocean
Worlds Activity (OWA) emerges- mc] implies that OWA is
*translated*historically –that is, brought into outside settings and
locally
(re)presented as well as interpreted in various ways"

So at first, since the activity is "brought into outside settings" I thought
of trans PORT.  But when we get to representations and interpretations, I
move toward language, and transLATE. And look what turns out to be true,
historically:

In about defintion #5 the OED gives us "Translated To transport with the
strength of some feeling; to enrapture, entrance" (archaic).

Communication used to be a synonym for transportation.

Interesting historical convergences and divergences.