Re: [xmca] The sociocultural turn in psychology

Andy
 my comments were in the spirit of emphasizing the tradition of
psychoanalysis AS A  SOCIOCULTURAL PRODUCT AND REFLECTION of the times in
which it was written.  Through an historical lens Kirschner narrates the
roots of the tradition and therefore is contributing to the
developing reactions and critiques of psychoanalysis as an historical
product influential in the 20th century. The questioning and challenging of
its presuppositions in the human sciences has generated deeper reflections
on psychology as a tradition. Kirschner's history of psychoanalysis [as an
historically constituted product  of its time] is an
historical sociocultural narrative.  I mentioned her previous writing to put
in "context" Kirschner's background. I found it interesting that her current
book synthesizing sociocultural accounts was written by an author with her
 Moscovici, in explicating his theory of social represention also has
written a book on the emergence and dissemination of psychoanalyis as an
historical sociocultural phenomena.  These historical reflections are in a
similar spirit of exploring the notions of Western religion and how the
moral themes of Western religious traditions can continue to emerge in
contemporary human science narratives.

Larry