Re: [xmca] The sociocultural turn in psychology

I've never been very much interested in psychoanalysis (too unscientific for me) but Eli Zaretsky's "Secrets of the Soul" (a history of psychoanalysis) I really enjoyed, lso emphasising psychoanalysis as a product and reflection of the times rather than as a viable theory of mind.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
PS,
Andy,for the historian in you, Suzanne Kirschner has written another fascinating book on the cultural historical roots of psychoanalysis that is an historical developmental account of how Freud's theory is a continuation of our Western religious heritage. A concrete example of how our "traditions that constitute us as persons" emerge from specific concrete historical circumstances. She has an interesting intellectual background from which to co-author this new book on the sociocultural turn in psychology.
Larry