From: mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
To: Luisa Aires <laires11@gmail.com>
Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Sun, 13 June, 2010 17:24:08
Subject: Re: [xmca] Fwd: [Air-L] Transliteracy Research Group blog

The topic of the uses of the term, literacy, is fascinating just as you
indicate,
Luisa. In English it always mixes "content knowledge" and often
"intelligent" with
instrumental abilities. A graduate student of mine is currently writing a
paper on the development of, and deployment of, the term, "health literacy."
Of course, we have "emotional literacy," along with your example of
"environmental literacy" and the infamous "computer literacy."  That is why
I was asking if perhaps "transliteracy" could help avoid repeating errors of
the past or provide more adequate phrase than "multi-literacy."
mike