Re: [xmca] Generality Is Not Abstraction And The Jerkiness Of Development

Dear Paula and David,

I do think that for LSV abstraction and generalization are not the same thing. The proposal that they amount to analysis and synthesis is an interesting one.

It can't be by accident that LSV calls the whole sphere a "system of generality," and refers to longitude and latitude as representing two distinct (but related, of course!) "relations of generality." This implies, to me at least, that 'generalization' is something that the whole system does (and recall that each stage of development - syncretic, complex, concept - is a distinct system). A system of generalization makes possible a series of acts of thought each of which grasps a particular region of the world with a specific kind of unity of abstract-concrete. As thinking moves along, the acts may move in the direction of more abstraction in the unity (if 'more' is the right way of talking about a dialectic), then more concreteness. They will also shift from one region to another.

Let me try to provide an example, never my strong suit. I am thinking about the mold I've found growing under the kitchen sink. One moment my thought is relatively concrete: I am considering the black color and characteristic odor. Then my thought shifts to the water pipe above, a movement on the east-west axis, picking out a new object, a different region of the world. The next thought is of the needs of mould: moisture, dark, a source of food. That's a move both east-west (I'm back to the mold again) and also along the north-south axis, in the direction of more abstraction. I can juggle scientific concepts (when I've had my coffee), so I become more abstract still: musing on the universal necessities to sustain life. Then I become ruthlessly concrete again: which of these necessities am I going to remove in order to vanquish the mold?

What characterizes each stage in the development of thinking - syncretic, complexive and conceptual - is not just the kind of representation employed - a heap, a complex, a concept - but the kinds of *movements* possible among representations (or rather the acts of thought that employ these representations), by virtue of the character of the "relations" among them. The "measure of generality" is the balance between concrete and abstract in these relations, and concepts (being on a 'larger' globe) make possible movements that include a greater measure of abstraction.

As Paola has pointed out, in chapter 5, LSV explores the role of both of these aspects, distinguishing them:

"But a concept in its natural developed state presupposes not just the unification and generalization of separate concrete elements of experience, but also postulates the segregation, abstraction and isolation of the individual elements and the ability to regard these segregated, abstract elements outside the framework of the concrete and factual associations which they are given by experience."

He goes on to draw a distinction between complexive and conceptual thinking in terms of the degree of abstraction that is possible in each of them:

"Thinking in complexes turns out to be inept in this respect. It is totally imbued with an excess or an overproduction of associations and a dearth of abstractions. The process of the segregation of attributes in thinking in complexes is exceptionally ineffectual. Meanwhile, as we have said, an authentic concept is dependent on the processes of analysis to the same extent as on the processes of synthesis. Both stratification and assembly, in equal measure, are indispensable internal factors in the building of a concept. "

...and then follows the Goethe:

"Analysis and synthesis, according to Goethe's famous words, assume the existence of the other, like breathing in and breathing out. All this applies in equal measure not just to thinking in general, but to the building of each individual concept as well."

Several points to emphasize here. First, the power of scientific concepts is not simply that they are abstract, but that they *combine* abstraction and synthesis in powerful ways. Second, thinking in complexes and thinking in concepts are both kinds of generalization, but they are qualitatively different in the *kinds* of generalization they make possible. Generalization, in a sense, always synthesizes things, because it treats something specific as an example of a category. When I call this object a "ball" I lump it together with other objects. But generalization can also involve analysis: when I call mold a "life-form" I bring to bear on it a powerful array of analytical distinctions.

Some time ago, Larry asked this question: