Re: [xmca] opening prayer for Texas curriculum deliberations

This prayer is historically inaccurate, to say the least, considering that
many of the Founding Fathers were deists who questioned the authoritative
nature of religious texts.

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Tony Whitson <twhitson@udel.edu> wrote:

> I was listening to the feed while she delivered this "invocation," and I
> was shocked. It was not even in the form of an invocation -- with all the "I
> believe this"s and "I believe that"s. Turns out, it's from a 1954 Prayer
> Breakfast speech by Earl Warren. (See
> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,936197,00.html   . )
>
> This was not a prayer, but a political stunt in the form of prayer. Mrs.
> Dunbar pressed God into her service as a tool for her political chicanery.
>
>> From a Judeo-Christian POV, This is a form of blasphemy.
>>

> On Mon, 24 May 2010, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:
>

>> http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2010/05/24/the-abuse-of-heavenly-prayer-for-earth-bound-politics/?cxntfid=blogs_jay_bookman_blog
>>

> Tony Whitson
> UD School of Education
> NEWARK  DE  19716
>
> twhitson@udel.edu

Michael D. Boatright
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Language and Literacy Education
University of Georgia
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602
mdb@uga.edu