[xmca] Re: SV: One SSD or muliple SSD's or?

Hi Mariane and Mike [and everyone else]

I wanted to reflect on some relationships between themes that have been posted on CHAT and make some linkages.
Mariane, I appreciate your differentiating practices from activities.  You mention that institutions HAVE perspectives which can be different from the child whose phenomenological way of viewing the situation [perspective] leads to activity. The question then becomes the interplay between practices and activity.
You also mention that this theoretical model does not need a notion of INTERNALIZATION.  The activities Andrew brings from home come into tension with the practices Andrew is thrown into at school.

Now Mike 's article in MIND Culture, Activity. "The perils of Translation: A First Step in Reconsidering Vygotsky's Theory of Development in Relation to Formal Education" picks up on the tension between practices and activities in the concept of obuchenie.  In American psychology the focus is on the CHILD's phenomenological LEARNING activity [learning as a relatively permanent change in behavior brought about by experience of events in the environment.  In contrast to the American BIAS to understand and focus on the child's individual development and activities the Russian models of "obuchenie" are biased towards the practices of teaching and instruction.  The emphasis is on the adult's ORGANIZATION and formation of practices. [interaction]
Obuchenie is a two-sided process but something gets lost in translation from Russian into English. As Mike points out these tensions can be articulated and made explicit and an attempt at a more balanced understanding of obuchenie be developed but there seems to be some factor beyond mere translation that causes American audiences to not "hear" or interpret but is being made explicit.  This "factor" whatever it is changes the entire MEANING of obuchenie when it gets intertwined with American child psychology and learning theory.

This is where the notions of "cultural IMAGINARIES' may help to explain how ideas get lost in translation.  Hermeneutical Realism is one tradition that could explicate this dynamic, but for today I want to link in Moscovici's notions of social REPRESENTATIONS and his concept of ANCHORING.

 [I see many parallels between hermeneutical realism and social representations.  Both acknowledge the REALITY of social OBJECTS that exist in TRADITIONS Both these traditions may also be useful for making developmental linkages between practices and activities.]
 Moscovici's concept of ANCHORING suggests that newly generated social representations [such as obuchenie when translated into American learning theory] are always anchored to already existing social objects [and practices] which are activated in order to DESCRIBE the new social object.  The new concept must be anchored [interconnected] to the existing COMMON KNOWLEDGE [traditions] that forms or institutionally structures a shared identity structure. Only this common CODE [knowledge] allows for shared knowledge, communication and shared practices and thus maintains the group's cohesion.  In other words we GROW INTO SPECIFIC SEMANTIC SPACES. "We stand in a context of COLLECTIVE IMAGERY" [Slunecko & Hengl chapter 2  in Handbook of Sociocultural Psychology] {emphasis added}  Individual experience can only be comprehended in the light of collective experiential spaces and individual activity cannot be detached from its collective FRAMES of reference.  Social objects structure our social situation of development and our communication processes.  We ALWAYS stand in a CONTEXT OF COLLECTIVE IMAGERY and individual activity can only be comprehended within a collective frame of reference.  This is a rejection of one person psychology that focuses on learning theories and bias on "thinking" and refocuses on discursive activity within institutional practices.
Now I'm wondering if the term "representations" carries so much historical baggage because of its being linked to intrapsychic internal "representations" or if our horizon of understanding can be expanded to see representations as existing in traditions and social situations of development.

Andrew when moving from his home institutional practices and being thrown into the schools institutional practices has to develop new activities that are ANCHORED to his previous social representations. In the same way obuchenie, when translated into American child development looses the rich meaning of obuchenie as practices which exist within COLLECTIVE IMAGINARIES.

For another post is the exploration of the teacher's or instructors PHENOMENOLOGICAL ways of imagining the frames or open spaces which see attempts to FORM or STRUCTURE as her/his activity within the institutional practices.  The instructor's activity [as imagination] is where hermeneutical realism has much to offer.

I hope I've been able to smoothly link these various notions [and traditions]
What do others think
My summary of Moscovici's ideas came from Slunecko and Hengl.

Larry