Re: RE: [xmca] moral life of babies

Larry-
I think I agree!

I take imagining to be central to all of human cognition, and affect and
cognition to interpenetrate each other, however much we murder to dissect.

I was keying on the example-- I have not read all of Martin's article. And I
have always been blown away by what American middle class parents imagine
their week old infants to be discussing with them!

I am re-reading the Fleer and Hedegaard article for discussion which get us
to the institutional side of things. I have deliberately withheld reading
comments and look forward to seeing what others think of that.

I also re-read the Bloom article on baby morality when a colleague with a
lot of background in social theory and Foucault asked me about its
plausibility. This is a case where I think i really need to read the
original studies. Bloom -- or his Times editor -- is being so breezy that I
can see where someone who does not know the various procedures and allusions
could get turned off.
mike