Re: [xmca] Honestly....

After the famous Meltzoff and Moore study in 1977 we were all sticking our tongues out at newborns. An entire generation must have grown up traumatized - or at least deeply insulted.

Seriously, though, these kinds of detailed video records (which only became possible around that time; I was lugging a Sony Portapak around London to see if young infants imitated their own sounds more than those of other infants) opened up new vistas, not only on infant interaction of course, but many other interactional phenomena as well. I assume people here are familiar with Colwyn Trevarthan's groundbreaking work on 'intersubjectivity,' with split-screen films of adult-infant interaction, for example. Colwyn has some very interesting recent articles on this topic.

Martin