Re: [xmca] obuchenie and the interaction's eye view of learning

Although *obuchenie* in fact supposes both teacher and student, actually it
is often used for a teacher centered situations and this way interaction is
scarsly applicable. So in some contexts it may be used, but not as the only
translation.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Gregory Allan Thompson <
gathomps@uchicago.edu> wrote:

> To rather naively (and quickly) throw out a suggestion for
> English speakers that might capture some of the nuance of
> obuchenie, I wonder if "learning interaction" might do some of
> this work. I don't think the words do all of the work
> themselves, but if one points to the concept of "interaction"
> as used in Chemistry, this might get a little more traction.
> As a rather classic example (maybe a bit "tired" for some on
> the listserve) consider: when the highly volatile Sodium atom
> is brought together with the poisonous Chloride atom, the
> result is a rather innocuous compound that can be liberally
> sprinkled on the lip of a Margarita glass to be imbibed along
> with the makings of a Margarita. So which element is
> responsible for the saltiness? Now imagine bringing together a
> volatile teacher and a poisonous student and the possibility
> for a "salty" teaching interaction -- okay one shouldn't take
> one's metaphors too far... But the idea of "emergence" seems
> critical here.
>
> This is why I find Goffman's work so intriguing. He is willing
> to forget about the actors and focus at the level of the
> interaction and the stuff that emerges in and out of the
> interaction (and Goffman started his academic career at the
> University of Manitoba intending to study Chemistry!). It
> seems that this interaction's eye view of things is what is
> needed in order to see the importance of the "between" teacher
> and student.
>
> Anyway, I suggest this rather naively since I suspect that
> this is probably different in some very important ways from
> what is meant by obuchenie, but I am not well enough informed
> about obuchenie to identify what these differences might be.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> -greg

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut