From: mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [xmca] (ism) v (ist)
To: "Jenna McWilliams" <jenmcwil@umail.iu.edu>
Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010, 12:52 PM

Debating *rigour  *with respect to such a question*?
*My advice is to take a good novel to read when caught in such
circumstances. Rigourous with respect to what?
Is a psychological experiment  about number calculation procesess more
rigorous than an ethnogrpahic account
of "the same" topic (I almost slipped and wrote phenomenon!).

My guess vis a  vis my own question? Piagetian social constructivism saw
culture as ailement for the mind that varied along a scale from less to more
(never considered obesity, i guess). Vygotskian cultural-historical
psycholoy places cultural mediation in the center of the process, making all
Piageian binaries into fuzzy trinaries for which it is always
necessary to rise to the concrete. Of course one person's concrete is
another's  "whaaat" but at least they are
trying to understand each other within a more or less mutually recognizable
point of view.  Constructionism includes cultural practices, making things.
But it does not theorize them in chat terms.
mike