From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org
Sent: Wed 4/7/2010 8:57 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Cc: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu; eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: [xmca] (ism) v (ist)

In the xmca archive there is much discussion about the differences between
just these two modifiers.  Never settled, perhaps never will.  From a
linguist standpoint one is active and one is passive.

Helen; from my own experience when I wrote my master's thesis ( A
Vygotskian perspective on Special Education Transition Services) my
supervisor kept asking if I wouldn't be better off making the argument
from an Ericson point of view so I believe mainstream acadamia is still
confused about what cultural-historical theory is; however, I believe I am
safe in saying it is not social constructivism.  Has your supervisor
specifically stated where they are finding the descrepancies in your
argument?  In my thesis I wanted to use more Valsiner and Van der Veer
references but found they did not coexist very well with the Vygotsky,
Luria, Scribner, and Cole cross cultural studies I was referencing.

Maybe this helps, maybe this muddies the water?

eric

Helen Grimmett <helen.grimmett@education.monash.edu.au>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
04/06/2010 09:38 PM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"