[xmca] RE: Featuring EDUC259 on Japanese Public TV

Dear Mike-

I was surprised about "volunteering" as well and I asked my EDUC259 students
about it. But they replied to me that they saw their engagement in the
practicum as their volunteering because:

1)      They (some) chose EDUC259 (with practicum) over EDUC258 (no
practicum);

2)      Since I didn't make any (formal) surveillance of their practicum
attendance, they considered going to the practicum based on their own will.

I'm not so sure about all of that, but it was interesting to hear my
students' perspectives. I think they are partially right but it varies
depending on a student (his or her relationship with the kids and with the
profession and with his/her learning). I think that volunteering is probably
a complex notion that resists purification.

Clarification: EDUC258 "Cultural diversity, schooling, and teachers" focuses
primarily on structural issues of (in)equality (no practicum). EDUC259
"Diversity in communal contexts" (with required afterschool practicum)
focuses primarily on dynamic and relational issues of cultural diversity and
(in)equality in education. This is how I conceptualize the difference. Now
with new Urban Ed programs, we are divorcing these two classes' curriculum.
Up to now, students can choose either  one of them that is why we had big
overlap. But in the new Urban Ed programs the students will be required to
take both courses (good bye volunteerism! J)

It was interesting to see our class as "a response" to Obama's call - it is
funny J how things can turn around. I think we have foreseen this call in
1996 and Mike and your colleagues even earlier. I guess this is how TV and
news are made nowadays.

It is also interesting that the Japanese crew chose to show the interview
with UD students (not my grad students) at the Volunteer Fair who said that
they want to volunteer: 1) because they want to add a record for his resume
and 2) because their UD professor want it. Is it really volunteerism?

Any other observations?

Eugene